Your ability to create power comes from the ground up; from your feet, through your legs all the way to your arms and finally to the club. To get the correct weight shift you need to load your weight on to your back leg and then transfer that load to the front leg as your arms fling through the shot.
You need to able to take your muscles through their full range of motion, so you need to have strong, flexible hips and legs.
To shift your weight from side to side quickly and efficiently, your adductors, hips, legs, and feet initiate your downswing and weight shift.
This exercise conditions the muscles you use to create a powerful weight shift.
HOW TO DO SIDE LUNGES TO IMPROVE YOUR WEIGHT SHIFT
- Start with feet shoulder-width apart.
- Lunge to the side with your right foot, keeping your toes forward and your feet flat.
- Squat through your right hip while keeping your left leg straight.
- Squat as low as possible, holding this position for 2 seconds.
- Push back to the starting position and repeat on the opposite side.
- Do 8 to 10 repetitions.