Florida Teen Dies from Brain-Eating Amoeba


Sept. 11, 2020 — The parents of a 13-year-old boy in Florida who died from brain-eating amoeba want to warn others about the risk of the waterborne infection.

Tanner Lake Wall, 13, became ill after a family vacation last month at a North Florida campground that has a lake and water park. He was hospitalized and put on a ventilator, but taken off life support on Aug. 2 after he showed no brain activity, CBS News reported.

The teen’s parents hope their tragedy alerts other families to the dangers of this amoeba, called Naegleria fowleri.

“So parents are aware, maybe they weren’t thinking about it because I can sure tell you we weren’t,” the teen’s father, Travis Wall said, CBS News reported. “We grew up swimming in ponds and creeks and stuff like that.”

Typically found in warm fresh water, such as lakes, rivers and springs, Naegleria fowleri can get into the brain when contaminated water enters the nose, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.



WebMD News from HealthDay



Copyright © 2013-2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.





Source link

More from author

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related posts

Advertismentspot_img

Latest posts

Serie A centre-back emerges on Liverpool radar as Klopp eyes more cover

Liverpool are reportedly showing an interest in signing impressive Cagliari defender Sebastian Walukiewicz this summer. The centre of Jurgen Klopp’s defence emerged as a...

‘It looked like Roger Federer was really playing the ball’, says Top 10

Roger Federer decided to auction off various memories that he accumulated throughout his career, such as the outfit he used in the 2000...

Want to stay up to date with the latest news?

We would love to hear from you! Please fill in your details and we will stay in touch. It's that simple!